SERVES 12 – 14
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp each ground cloves, mixed spice and nutmeg
- 75g butter
- 75g honey
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste
- Pinch pink salt flakes
- Finely grated zest 1 orange,
1 lemon, 1 lime
- 200g almond meal
- 600g dried fruits of choice, craisins, cherries, dates, apple, apricots, raisins, currants
- Honey or maple syrup for glazing
- Blanched almonds for decorating (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C and butter and double line with baking paper, a 19cm spring form tin. Set aside.
- Place baking powder, ground spices, butter and honey into a saucepan and melt on a medium heat, stirring until combined.
- Place eggs, vanilla, salt, and zests into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add warm honey mixture and almond meal to the bowl and combine well, stirring vigorously.
- Add fruit and stir to combine. The mixture will be quite stiff.
- Spread into prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes until fragrant. Brush immediately with either honey or maple syrup to create a glaze. This is optional.
- You may add almonds on top as pictured if you wish, you will need to cover the cake for at least 20 minutes baking time if you do that.