*This recipe is by one of our Love Baking Club subscribers, Erica. Thank you for this recipe, Erica!
Burger Cake Ingredients:
- 250g butter softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup milk
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- 215g caster sugar
- 250g butter, chopped
- 225g self-raising flour
- 75g plain flour
- 50g dark cocoa powder
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 250g dark chocolate (45% cocoa), coarsely chopped
- 200g butter softened
- 1kg icing sugar mixture
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Brown Gel Colouring
- Red Gel Colouring
- Yellow Gel Colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a round 20cm cake pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter, caster sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating to combine. Add half the flour. Stir to combine. Add half the milk. Stir to combine. Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Slice cake in two halves and shape one slightly domed to make it look like a bun.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan forced. Grease a round 20cm cake pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Combine the sugar, 125g butter and 250ml (1 cup) water in a saucepan. Place over medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Sift the flours and cocoa powder into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the cooled butter mixture and the eggs and use a metal spoon to gently fold until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until very pale. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well between each addition. Add the milk and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Divide the icing among 5 bowls and tint with food colouring (make an extra yellow one and another a pale yellow/brown like bread).
Add a little bit more milk to the red and one yellow and mixing pour each into a piping bag.
- Divide fondant into 4 and Mix gel colours into the fondant/sugar paste until you get a tomato red,
Lettuce green, cheese yellow.
Roll each out to a few millimetres thick and cut by hand into a tomato, lettuce and cheese.
- Spread half the light brown/yellow buttercream over the top of the flat butter cake layer, and the brown buttercream over the chocolate cake.
- Layer some yellow cheese shapes on top of the flat butter cake, and place the chocolate cake on top. Drizzle some red and yellow icing like sauce and mustard. Layer some more cheese shapes, and some tomato and lettuce shapes making sure some are visible on the edge. And drizzle with more “sauce” and “mustard”
- Top it with the domed butter cake and cover the top with the bread coloured buttercream as well as the sides of both layers of butter cake.