The 2018 MasterChef Sashi Cheliah’s Super Theatre Recipe Phirni Crème Brûlée.
Make sure you try this at home and experience the goodness of exotic flavours. It’s very easy to make but the taste is outstanding.
What is Phirni?
Phirni also called firni is a classic slow-cooked Indian creamy dessert made with basmati rice, milk, sugar and topped with pistachios and edible gold leaf (how cool is that?)
Let’s grab the ingredients!
What will you need?
- 100g Taj Basmati rice
- 1L full cream milk
- 200ml condensed milk
- 100g sugar
- 50g slivered pistachio
- Gold leaf
- Mixing bowls
- Large pan
- Blow torch
- Pestle and mortal
- Soak the rice for 30mins and drain.
- Use a pestle and mortar to break into coarse consistency.
- Heat the milk in a large pan, once the milk starts to boil reduce the heat simmer and add the rice.
- Cook the rice for 15 to 20mins until soft.
- Add saffron and condensed milk and cook until it thickens.
- Transfer the phiri into a small bowl and allow it to cool.
- Sprinkle sugar on the phiri and torch the sugar.
- Lastly garnish with pistachio and gold leaf.