This is a very flexible recipe which produces an easy-to-use pastry due to the cheese content, and can be adapted with any of your favourite veggie fillings. The quantities below are for single quiches, but we recommend making them in larger quantities as these also freeze well.
115g plain flour
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp paprika
Pinch of salt
60g grated mature cheese
For the Filling:
2 large eggs
75ml single cream
Salt and pepper
Vegetables of choice (see variants below)
1. Mix all of the pastry ingredients in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, then slowly add water to bind to a dough. Knead until smooth, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Beat the eggs, cream and salt and pepper together.
3. When chilled, roll out the pastry and line a 9″ flan tin.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C. Put a baking tray in the oven.
5. Add the vegetables to half-fill the tin and pour the egg and cream mixture over. Top with grated cheese.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until brown. Serve hot or cold.
A. Spinach and Ricotta
To the egg and cream mixture, add;
1 400g tin chopped spinach, drained
1 small tub ricotta cheese, drained
Pinch of nutmeg
Mix together until even.
B. Leek and Cheese
Line the pastry tray with;
1 finely chopped leek, sautéed in butter with a pinch of thyme
Add extra grated cheese before baking.
C. Leek, Mushroom and Cheese
As B. above, with the addition of 6 finely sliced mushrooms sautéed in butter.
D. Mediterranean Vegetable
1 medium zucchini
1 red pepper
1 red onion
Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated oven at 200C for approximately 25 minutes. When cool, add to the pastry tray as above.