This recipe was provided by South African superstar Siba Mtongana, who will be demonstrating and meeting and greeting at our Cake Bake & Sweets Show.
Active Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- ¾ tsp cream of tartar
- 300g castor sugar
- A few drops of pink food colouring, optional
Top and filling
- 1lt whipping cream, whipped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 500 g raspberries
- 250 g strawberries, sliced
- 250 g blue berries
- 250 g black berries
- 180 g berry sauce, store bought
- A few mint sprigs to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 120 C and lightly grease 2 baking trays. Grab 2 sheets of baking paper and trace the outline of a side plate onto each, around 15cm in diameter, then place onto each greased baking tray.
- In a mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy, about one minute, then add the cream of tartar, beating until soft peaks form, about 10 more minutes.
- Add the sugar a little at a time, beating after each addition until all the sugar has been used and the mixture is thick and glossy with firm white peaks – this takes about 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in a few drops of the food colouring to create a light pink colour.
- Transfer half of the meringue into one lined baking tray and the other half onto the 2nd lined baking tray using a spatula. Spread it using the marked circle as a guide. Create a bit of a well or indent in the centre to make space for the filling.
- Bake both for 1 hour 20 minutes until crispy on the outside but still soft on the inside. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Whip the cream, and gently fold in the lemon juice. Place one meringue on a platter and top with half the cream and half the berries. Drizzle with half the fruit sauce. Repeat the same process with the second meringue, placing it on top of the other, then add cream, berries, sauce and finish with a garnish of the mint. Serve.