This recipe was provided and performed by Miguel Maestre at the 2018 Cake Bake & Sweets Show!
Equipment: paella pan and burner, BBQ Gas bottle, food processor, chopping board
- 400ml chicken stock
- 200g Bomba rice
- 4 large king prawn u6
- 10 black mussels live
- 6 pippies
- 4 large scallops
- 150 g baby calamari cleaned and scored
- 2 chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 50g fresh/frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- 2 large ripe oxheart tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 large roasted red capiscums from jar (piquillo)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ bunch parsley
- ½ bunch chives
- 25ml Moro Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- To make the sofrito, place all ingredients in a food processor and process until chunky. If you don’t have a food processor then simply roughly chop the tomatoes and capsicums and finely chop the garlic and parsley and combine with other sofrito ingredients.
- Heat a 30cm fry-pan or paella pan on high heat, add chorizo and cook until golden brown. Add sofrito and cook until tomatoes start to become juicy, 3-4 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to the boil. Stir in rice and seafood bring to a simmer. Continue simmering for about 10 minutes.
- When rice is tender and liquid has almost fully reduced (there should still be some liquid in the fry-pan), add peas and cook for a further 2 minutes to achieve ‘soccarrada’ (crust on the bottom of the pan).
- Season to taste with salt and garnish with chives. Squeeze over lemon juice just before serving.