This recipe was provided and performed by Siba Mtongana at the 2018 Cake Bake & Sweets Show!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Braaing or barbeque time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Roasting time: 4 hours
Serves: 12 plus
- 4 kg pork shoulder, boneless
- 60 ml canola oil
- 30 ml smoked sea salt
- 5 ml freshly ground black pepper
- 30 ml smoked paprika
- 15 ml dried chilli flakes
- 5 ml mustard powder
- 30 ml brown sugar
- 6 large fresh garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 250 ml smoky barbeque sauce
- 250 ml warm water
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 12 slider rolls
- 60 ml Dijon mustard
- 125 ml thick mayonnaise
- 400 g mixed salad leaves, rinsed and dried
- 200 g gherkins, sliced
- 1 small red cabbages, very thinly shredded
- 1 jar pickled red onion *see separate recipe below
- 30 g mixed micro herbs
- Remove the skin and most of the fat. Place the meat on a board, score all over and butterfly where necessary to ensure the meat is even and levelled out. Mix the rub ingredients together and rub all over the meat.
- Get a fire going, put the coals in the very bottom and once ready, add a large handful of wood chips and a pinch of tea leaves for smoky effect. Place the lower grill on. Place a loaf tin filled with water to one side of the lower grill.
- Place the main grill on and place the pork in the middle over the direct heat of the coals. Put the lid on and open the vents slightly. Braai (Grill or barbeque) the meat and after 30 minutes turn the pork for another 30 minutes on the other side. Turn it again for another 30 minutes. The pork must be cooked a minimum of 1 hour 30 minutes minimum on the braai or barbeque.
- Place the barbequed meat in a casserole dish and top with the barbeque sauce, water, mustard and white wine vinegar that is mixed in a jug and poured over the meat in the casserole dish.
- Roast in the 140°C for 4 hours with the lid on until cooked through and easily pulls apart when pressed with a fork. Remove from the oven and rest for 15 minutes to cool down slightly. Place the meat on a clean chopping board and shred using two forks. Add some of the pan juices to the meat.
- To make the sliders, cut the buns in half and toast each side until slightly crispy. Spread the buns with mayo mixed with mustard and top with mixed salad leaves, followed by shredded pulled pork, gherkins, shredded cabbage, pickled onions and garnish with micro herbs. Close with half of the bun and secure with a short wooden skewer. Repeat with remaining buns and place on large platter and serve.
To make red pickled onions
Place 2 thinly sliced medium red onion in clean and sterilised jar. In a jug, mix together 250 ml water, 125 ml apple cider vinegar, 15 ml sugar and pinch of salt and stir until well combined. Pour over the onion in the jar. Add about 5cm fresh peeled ginger and seal the jar for a least 4 hours or overnight. Serve with the sliders. Tip: add 60 ml beetroot water to get an intense red colour.