*This recipe is by one of our Love Baking Club subscribers, Josef Garrington. Thank you for this recipe, Josef!
Red Skin Cake Ingredients:
- 420ml boiling water
- 16 Red Skins
- 170g butter
- 170g white chocolate
- 300g sugar
- 300g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
Red Skin Ganache:
- 8 Red Skins
- 100ml cream
- 200g white chocolate
Red Skin Shards:
- 10 Red Skins, the wrappers on, frozen for 1 hour
- Place the boiling water in a heatproof microwave-safe bowl with the red skins. Set aside until the red skins have dissolved in the water. If they haven’t completely use a fork to stir the mix and zap in the microwave for 20-second intervals and stir to dissolve.
- Preheat the oven to 180c degrees, grease and line a 23cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter, white chocolate, sugar and red skin water in a medium saucepan on a medium heat until the mix is smooth and glossy.
- Add the flour to a large bowl and gradually whisk the red skin mix with a hand whisk until the mixture thickens.
- Add the egg and whisk to combine.
- Pour the mix into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a skew inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Place the cake onto a cooling tray until cold.
- To make the ganache place the red skins and cream into a medium saucepan on a medium heat and stir until the red skins have melted and the mix is smooth.
- Place the white chocolate in and remove the saucepan off the heat.
- Stir until the white chocolate has melted and the mix is glossy and smooth.
- Place the mix in the fridge to harden to a spreadable consistency.
- Cut the cake in half horizontally. Spread half the ganache over one layer of cake. Top with the second and spread remaining ganache over the top and the sides of the cake.
- Take out the frozen red skins, leave the wrappers on. One at a time, use a rolling pin to break the red skins. Unwrap and place the shards in a bowl. Decorate the cake with smashed red skins.