Soft, tender and full of fragrant vanilla, this is our go-to butter cake recipe that turns out perfectly, every time. Dress it up with sprinkles or keep it simple with a swirl of vanilla buttercream.
If you want to turn this recipe it into cupcakes or mix it up with choc chips or berries, scroll to the bottom of the method section for ingredient conversions.
PREP: 20 min | COOK: 60 min | SERVES: 12
- 150g butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp Queen Celebrating 120 Years Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
Method – Cake
Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced). Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and Vanilla Extract until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well to combine.
Add flour and milk and mix on low until just combined.
Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 55-60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 125g butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (225g) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
Method – Buttecream
Place butter and vanilla in bowl of a stand mixing and beat on medium-high speed for 6-8 minutes until pale and fluffy.
With mixer off, sift in icing sugar folding to combine. Return to mixer and beat until combined, approximately 2-3 minutes.
Spread buttercream over top of cooled cake and decorate as desired.
Convert this recipe:
1 x Loaf tin
Make recipe as above. Grease and line a 21cm x 11cm loaf tin and bake for 60-65 minutes.
To make 12 standard size cupcakes:
Make recipe as above. Fill cupcake cases ¾ full (approx. 1/4 cup – 60ml of batter per standard size cupcake case) and bake for 18-20 minutes or until cupcake bounces back when pressed.
Buttercream note: If wanting to spread buttercream over cupcakes, make buttercream recipe as above. If wanting to generously pipe onto cupcakes, double the recipe.
- Choc chips – ½ cup of chocolate chips folded through batter.
- Raspberries, Strawberries or Blueberries – ½ cup fresh or frozen (thawed, drained), folded through batter.
- Make a zesty Lemon, Orange or Lime Butter cake, 2 tbsp of zest to your cake batter
- Make a citrus butter cream to match by making buttercream as above and adding 2 tsp of zest and 1 tbsp of juice from either lemon, lime or orange.
Why not take a photo and share your version with us. Tag #queenfinefoods on Instagram or post to our Facebook page.